About the President’s Academy
The President’s Academy is an educational leadership experience designed to provide chapter and colony presidents with a concentrated deep dive into serving others, self-awareness, chapter operations, understanding vision, and how to create a chapter success plan. Through a servant leadership lens, participants are able to focus on member retention, teamwork, conflict resolution, and compromise. This experience will seek to provide participants with the necessary tools to coach those they lead and to create and sustain a chapter success plan which will lead to increased member engagement and retention.
Takeaways, Accommodations and Expenses
Which positive attributes can I acquire?
- Effective communicator
- Good public speaker
- Manage internal conflict
- Represent the chapter
- Represent needs and wants of the chapter and help meet those
What is gained by attending?
- Construct a path for approaching difficult situations
- Demonstrate responsible decision-making and personal accountability
- Demonstrate the ability to coach others
- Describe servant leadership as an approach to chapter operations
- Develop a fraternal network
- Develop professional and leadership skills
- Facilitate the development of a chapter success plan
- Implement a feedback model
- Practice a commitment to servant leadership
If the chapter president is unable to attend, the president-elect or vice president of administration (or its equivalent) may attend instead.
Smart Business Casual (Jeans are acceptable; no shorts or t-shirts, please.)
I accept the offer to attend the Presidents Academy & Fraternity Advisor Conference. I understand once I commit to attending if I should cancel for any reason after the cancellation deadline I will incur the penalty for non-attendance:
Students: $250 charged to chapter account
Alumni: $250 invoice
Further, I understand once I commit to attend, should I fail to attend the entirety of the event, I will be assessed a $150 per day no-show penalty.
Which expenses are covered with registration?
- Double occupancy hotel room for Friday and Saturday night
- Meals during the event:
- Friday: Dinner
- Saturday: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Sunday: Breakfast, Lunch
- Participant materials
- Travel to event location (Note: flight or mileage to event location is covered to a maximum of $500; flights exceeding $500 must be arranged and approved by Heritage Center Staff.)*
- Airline luggage fees (one bag per flight)
- Airport parking
- Hotel parking
- Transportation to and from the airport
- Transportation to and from the hotel
- Denver Airport Rail- Travelers can now use A Line, the new rail service from Denver International Airport to LoDo’s (lower downtown) Union Station and back, courtesy of Regional Transportation District (RTD). The Denver airport rail has six stops along the way and takes approximately 37 minutes at a cost of $9 each way.* Mileage will be reimbursed per the Board of Directors’ Statement of Policy.
What accommodations are provided?
Mileage: Mileage to and from the PA will be reimbursable per the rate in the Board of Directors’ Statement of Policy.
Airfare: Flights booked at least two weeks (14 days) prior to the start of the conference will be reimbursable. Attendees should make every effort to secure the least expensive flight option. Flights costing more than $500 USD must be pre-approved by the Heritage Center staff.
Alpha Kappa Psi has a relationship with Egencia providing attendees the ability to book flights with no up-front cost to the attendee. After registration, individuals will receive an email from Egencia with information on booking a flight. Individuals may book flights on Egencia using a personal credit card (reimbursable) or on the fraternity’s account. Flights may be booked via Egencia or other travel service provider.
The closest airport to the event location is the Denver International Airport (DEN).
Arrive at the hotel by 5PM on Friday, January 4.
Those flying should schedule their departure flight any time after 2 PM on Sunday, January 6.
The Heritage Center staff will arrange all sleeping rooms for attendees. All attendees with be paired with a roommate. Confirmation numbers and a roommate list will be distributed prior to the start of the conference. Room and tax is covered; incidentals are the responsibility of the attendee.
Grand Hyatt Denver
1750 Welton St, Denver, CO 80202
Airport to Hotel Transportation
Denver Airport Rail- Travelers can now use A Line, the new rail service from Denver International Airport to LoDo’s (lower downtown) Union Station and back, courtesy of Regional Transportation District (RTD). The Denver airport rail has six stops along the way and takes approximately 37 minutes at a cost of $9 each way. This expense is reimbursable up to $18 round trip.
A shuttle service will be provided from Union Station to the Grand Hyatt.
Which expenses are not covered?
- Meals outside of those listed above
- Airline luggage fees, for more than one bag
- Flight change fees
- Personal incidentals
How do I receive reimbursement?
Expense reports must be submitted for reimbursement within 60 days of receipt. Expense reports should be submitted to the Heritage Center via mail or email. Receipt(s) must be included in the expense report submission. Upon receipt of the expense report, expenses are normally reimbursed within seven (7) business days.