January 4 – 6, 2019
About the Fraternity Advisors Conference
The Fraternity Advisors Conference (FAC) is an educational leadership experience designed to provide chapter advisors the knowledge and skills to effectively coach those you serve, self-awareness, chapter operations, understanding vision, and how to create a chapter success plan. Through a servant leadership lens, participants are able to focus on member retention, teamwork, conflict resolution, and compromise. This experience will seek to provide participants with the necessary tools to coach those they lead, an opportunity to assist the chapter president to create a Chapter Success Plan, and the necessary tools to assist the chapter in fulfilling its purpose.
How do I receive a reimbursement?
Expense reports must be submitted for reimbursement within 60 days of receipt. Expense reports should be submitted to the Heritage Center via mail or email. Receipt(s) must be inlcuded in the expense report submission. Upon receipt of the expense report, expenses are normally reimbursed within seven (7) business days.
Which expenses are covered with registration?
- Double occupancy hotel room for Friday and Saturday night
- Meals during event:
- Friday: Dinner
- Saturday: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Sunday: Breakfast, Lunch
- Participant materials
- Travel to event location (Note: flight or mileage to event location is covered to a maximum of $500; flights exceeding $500 must be arranged and approved by Heritage Center Staff.)*
- Airline luggage fees (one bag per flight)
- Airport parking
- Hotel parking
- Transportation to and from the airport
- Transportation to and from the hotel
* Mileage will be reimbursed per the Board of Directors’ Statement of Policy.
Which expenses are not covered?
- Meals outside of those listed above
- Airline luggage fees, for more than one bag
- Flight change fees
- Personal incidentals
What is gained from attending?
- Describe servant leadership and its application to the operations and success of the chapter
- Gain insight on necessary servant leadership skills
- Examine skills and their chapter related applications
- Develop core leadership skills
- Develop a fraternal network
- Summarize their learning on servant leadership with their executive board
- Facilitate the creation and completion of a chapter success plan
- Demonstrate the ability to coach others
- Feel personally challenged
What accommodations are provided?
Mileage: Mileage to and from the FAC will be reimbursable per the rate in the Board of Directors’ Statement of Policy.
Airfare: Flights booked at least two weeks (14 days) prior to the start of the conference will be reimbursable. Attendees should make every effort to secure the least expensive flight option. Flights costing more than $500 USD must be pre-approved by the Heritage Center staff.
Alpha Kappa Psi has a relationship with Egencia providing attendees the ability to book flights with no up-front cost to the attendee. After registration, individuals will receive an email from Egencia with information on booking a flight. Individuals may book flights on Egencia using a personal credit card (reimbursable) or on the fraternity’s account. Flights may be booked via Egencia or other travel service provider.
Indianapolis: The closest airport is Indianapolis International Airport (IND).
Arrive at the hotel by 5PM on Friday, January 5.
Those flying should schedule their departure flight any time after 2 PM on Sunday, January 7.
The Heritage Center staff will arrange all sleeping rooms for attendees. All attendees with be paired with a roommate unless a single room is requested. A single room will be at the expense of the attendee ($60 per night) and is not reimbursable.
Confirmation numbers and a roommate list will be distributed prior to the start of the conference. Room and tax is covered; incidentals are the responsibility of the attendee.
Airport to Hotel Transportation
Upon flight confirmation, visit the Downtown Indy Express Shuttle. Participants should use Shuttle Stop 4. The cost is $10 one-way and will be reimbursable up to $20 round trip.
What is the dress code?
Smart Business Casual (Jeans are acceptable; no shorts or t-shirts, please.)
Small Group Facilitator - Eligibility
Who is eligible to serve as a small group facilitator?
This volunteer role is open to alumni only and preference is given to previous attendees and volunteers.
Who is not eligible to serve as a small group facilitator?
A Chapter Advisor who has not ever attended the Presidents Academy may not serve as a small group facilitator.
Small Group Facilitator Responsibilities and Time Commitment
Prep (Remotely): Complete “Facilitation 101” Learning Plan via LearnTrac; document review. | 3 hours
Onsite: Attend small group facilitator training onsite, assist with the registration process; greeting attendees, and the clean-up process. Facilitate a small group conversation using the custom designed curriculum. | Entirety of event
Follow up (Remotely): Contact group members as needed. | 2 hours